Saturday, February 27, 2016

DIY Applesauce/Babyfood

I began making applesauce as a school project for my first grade students.  I had been looking for a fun craft or snack for my class for Johnny Appleseed Day.  While I was searching I came across a recipe for home made applesauce.  I personally don't care for applesauce - something about the texture.  But, my kids all loved it!  It was a big hit with them!  So, every year for Johnny Appleseed day we would make applesauce!  It was a great lesson that they never knew they were learning!

I am currently a stay at home, taking care of my two precious children, so I am not making applesauce once a year.  Instead I am making it at least once a month!  My children love it and think it is a great treat!  I do try to buy a lot of apples when I find a good deal and make my applesauce ahead.

I start with my wonderful Pampered Chef Apple Wedger!


This nice little tool makes the job so much faster and easier!  Simply press down, then peel each little section!



I usually cut each section in half, but that is not a must.  The smaller the pieces, the more quickly the applesauce will cook.  So the size of the apple pieces is totally up to you.  I also add about 1/4 c. water to the crock-pot.  You can add cinnamon if you want - I always did, until we discovered my daughter has a mild cinnamon allergy.



When I made this in the classroom I cut my apples into very small pieces to be sure my applesauce was cooked in time for the students to sample it! When I make it at home I don't worry about the size of the pieces.  I just toss them in the crock pot and turn it on high!


Each time I walk through the kitchen I try to just give the apples a quick stir.  This just makes sure they continue to cook evenly and also let me know when they are done!  (It has also let me know I forgot to plug in the crock-pot...)


If I were making this for my toddler or older children, I would be finished after mashing the apples with a spoon.  However, when I make it for my 6 month old, I use a blender to puree the applesauce.  Then, I spoon it into ice cube trays to freeze and use as needed!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment