Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DIY Liquid Laundry Detergent

So, I had hoped to post this much sooner! However, I currently have a very cute distraction:



So, I am finally getting around to re-posting this with more details and pictures!  I have been using homemade laundry detergent for a couple years now and I absolutely love it!!  This recipe will make 10 gallons (the 5-gallon bucket is double concentrate that you will mix with water as you use it).  I could not even tell you the money we have saved by using this as opposed to purchasing detergent!

You will need:
          - 5 gallon bucket (with lid)
          - 1 bar of soap (Fels Naptha, Ivory, Castille...)
          - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
          - Borax







You will need about 2 cups of water in a medium sauce pan, on medium heat.  
Grate your bar of soap into the saucepan of water.



Stir until the soap is completely melted.



I usually place my 5 gallon bucket in the bathtub.  I also measure my Washing Powder and Borax ahead of time and place them in a small container.  After the soap is dissolved in the water, pour the soap mixture into your 5 gallon bucket. Add your Washing Powder and Borax.  Stir until the dry mixture is completely dissolved.



Fill the bucket with water and let sit overnight.



It's consistency will turn to a gelatin like consistency, with some liquid around the edges.  When you are ready to use it, simply fill a laundry detergent container half way with the homemade mixture and then finish filling the container with water. Shake well and use just like you would your regular detergent!

**If you want, you can add some essential oils for a nice scent**

I hope that this has been helpful!!! Please feel free to comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment