Friday, November 13, 2015



When we found out we were expecting our first child we knew we had to cut our expenses.  We had already discussed the fact that I had always wanted to be a stay at home mom.  My amazing husband fully supported me in that desire.  Also, after looking at childcare costs, it was actually better for me to stay at home and him to pick up a few extra hours of overtime.  Below are just a few of the ways that we managed to cut our monthly expenses:

1)  StraightTalk

We saved about $125 each month by using StraightTalk as opposed to other major cell providers.  We were able to use cell phones that we already had, and we actually have a better plan.  This is a step we were hesitant to take at first, but now we wish we had taken it sooner!  We have unlimited, talk, text, and data for a little less than $50 (per line) each month!  We have had NO problem with service, and the customer service is wonderful!!

2)  Home Phone

We had a home phone for several years, mainly for our alarm system.  However, we were able to pay a small fee and get our alarm system switched to cellular and connected to our cell phones.  This saved us about $30 per month.  The monthly alarm bill did go up a little, but the savings still outweigh the cost!

3) Cable TV/Antenna TV/Netflix

We had the nice package of all the good channels, plus a couple sports channels.  It seemed our bill just kept going up, even though our channel selection didn't.  So, we totally cut out the paid tv.  We purchased a $15 antenna at Wal-Mart and we watch Netflix.  Aside from missing the new HallMark movies (me) and the occasional football game/hunting show (my sweetheart) we really don't miss cable tv.  Netflix has a plethora of shows and movies, the kids have no clue anything has changed, and the money saved is wonderful!

4)  Meal Planning

Sometimes I can go a bit overboard and plan extravagant meals that require more expensive ingredients...but, as long as I plan ahead I am able to stay well within my grocery budget.  I also grocery shop every other week, as opposed to weekly trips to the grocery.  I limit my larger stores (SAMS) to every other month/every couple months depending on how long my stock of supplies lasts.

5)  Eating at Home

The more I can cook myself, the less money we spend.  Seriously, look at the receipt the next time you eat out.  How much money was just spend on a drink?  Do you know how much cheaper it is to drink the exact same thing at home?  Especially sweet tea!  Wow!  Not to mention if you eat in a 'sit down' restaurant and have to add a tip to the meal.  Buying the ingredients and putting them together myself saves quite a bit of money.  And now, thanks to Pinterest, you can get recipes for your favorite dish from your favorite restaurant!   When we do eat out, we look for places we have a coupon for, or that offer a 'Kid's eat free' night.

6)  Using Cash

I don't like to carry cash around.  I am terrible about getting to the bank/ATM to get out the cash I need for the week, BUT, when I remember to use my cash, it helps me not overspend.  I don't spend that much per week simply because I am home the majority of the week.  But, every once in a while a Sonic Happy Hour drink is necessary!  I have a set amount of money for my sweetheart and I for each pay period.  I also try to set aside a certain amount for gas.  Any spending money that is left over goes to a separate part of the wallet to be saved for a future splurge!

7)  Creating/Following a strict budget

Creating the budget wasn't to difficult...following it...Yikes!  I have learned that if I log into my bank account every day or every couple days it helps me follow my budget.  It only takes a couple minutes each morning, and I am better able to keep track of where the money is being spent and how much is left.


Even our best plans can turn into a train-wreck sometimes.  There have been times when we have totally strayed so far from the budget it wasn't even funny!  But, when you don't allow yourself extra room, you have to learn to stick with it.  Any extra money that is left in the budget goes either towards paying off a bill (hospital, car, house, etc...) or to savings.  Depending on the amount it may be split between bill pay/savings.

What do you do to stick to your budget?  I would love to hear back from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment