Thursday, October 11, 2012

'Mock' Apple Pie...

Some of you have certainly heard of Mock Apple Pie (maybe even from me), and some of you have no idea what this is all about.  I'm not sure when I first heard of Mock Apple Pie, but I have liked it ever since.  I choose to like or dislike food based not only on how it tastes, but also on its texture.  Because of that, I have never liked cooked apples in any form.  I have tried them baked on their own, and in a pie...I just can't do it! The texture is just not right.  I also don't really like Apple sauce.  So, when I found this Mock Apple Pie, I had to try it!  My Grandmother and Mom said the recipe was from the depression era when Apples were hard to come by.  I researched this and found that the Ritz cracker version was from that era.  However, years before that when people would travel they would use soda crackers, or some other type cracker to make this pie.  Then, when the Ritz company began, their crackers were much more suited to this recipe.  So, they marketed the recipe on their box for years!  Since I am enjoying time at home this week (FALL BREAK!!) I thought I would do a little baking.  And, what better to bake in the fall than a delicious smelling Apple pie! 

You will need:

Pastry for 2 Deep Dish crust             2 c. water
36 (approx.) Ritz Crackers                2 c. sugar
2 tsp Cream of Tartar                        Butter
2 Tbs Lemon Juice                            Cinnamon

 
 
 
Spread one crust into a Deep dish pie plate (be sure it is a deep dish - this recipe will overflow a regular pie plate - trust me!).  Coarsely crumble approximately 36 Ritz Crackers (about a sleeve and a third).

 
 
In a small sauce pan, combine water, sugar, and cream of tartar.  Bring the mixture to a boil and let boil softly for 15 minutes.  After the 15 minutes, add Lemon Juice and remove from heat to cool.  After the mixture has cooled (to about room temperature) pour over the crackers in the pie plate.  Add pats of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon (use as much of both as you like).  Cover with the top crust.  I chose to decorate my top crust, but all you need to do is cut a few slits in the crust to allow the steam out.


 
 
Bake at 425 F for approximately 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. 

 
 
 
Doesn't it look yummy!! :)  It is best served warm and with a scoop of ice cream!  Of course, I was out of ice cream....poor planning!  However, it is still quite delicious!

 
Let me know what you think of this recipe and how your pie turns out!  It is definitely fun to serve it without telling people that there are no apples...although, some people say the texture is different...I don't know! :)

3 comments:

  1. My Mom used to make this often when I was a kid in Alaska, and I loved it. I was always amazed that it tasted just like apples.....never made any sense to me but sure did like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad this could bring back some (hopefully fond) memories for you Rodger! My Mom tells about making it and not telling people it was not apples! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the recipe being on the back of the Ritz Cracker boxes as a child in the 50s. Although, I've never tasted it. It was fun to see.

    ReplyDelete