Friday, September 21, 2012

Deer Calzones...

First of all, these can be made with any type meat you choose...but at our house...deer is preferred!

I start with browned (scrambled) deer meat.  I add pizza sauce and seasonings to it and let it simmer.  Then I use a pizza crust mix (the kind you just add hot water too) and mix it up as the directions say.    I usually get about three calzones out of one pizza crust.  After the crust is ready, I separate it into three sections.  Take one section and roll it out...

 
I brush the inside of the calzone with a little bit of EVOO, then spoon in the deer meat mixture.  I also sprinkle the deer meat with cheese and top with Turkey Pepperoni.

 
Fold over the top of the calzone (be careful not to poke a hole in the crust like I did on one of the ones below!), and I seal it with a fork.  If you are overly picky about how it looks you can take a knife and trim off the ragged edges after you have sealed it.

 
 
Then I make a mixture of EVOO, Parmesan cheese, and oregano.  The consistency needs to be a little more runny than a paste.

 
Lightly brush the mixture over the tops of the calzones.

 

 
Place in the oven and bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes, or until crust is a golden brown.
 
 
ENJOY!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment